Thursday 28 June 2012

Chit Chat | BB Creams

If your anything like me, you have been a little confused by this product. B.B Creams seems to be all the range at the moment, all the top retailers are bringing one out. But when I go to investigate this product on a whole, there isn't that much information about them.


Wikipedia's explanation is as follows: "BB cream, also known as Blemish BalmBlemish Base or Beblesh Balm (due to an apparent copyright on the word "Blemish"[1]), is a cosmetic item sold mainly in East and Southeast Asia, although larger beauty brands are increasingly introducing BB creams to Western markets as well. Originally formulated in Germany by dermatologist Dr. Christine Schrammek in the 1950s,[note 1] the cream was initially used to protect skin after laser procedures and surgery, while also providing light coverage.[2][3] Introduced to South Korea and Japan in the 1980s,[4][1][note 2] BB cream has been named "the secret of Korean actresses" and has been heavily endorsed by Korean celebrities,[5] which gained it large exposure in these Asian markets....." You can find the full explanation here


A better explanation is given by Cosmo: "This wonder cream is meant to be all-singing and all-dancing. It will give you a good base for makeup like a primer, even out complexion like a tinted moisturiser, cover minor imperfections and redness like a concealer, hydrate your skin like your day cream, brighten and perk-up a dull complexion and some will even protect with SPF. Some also promise healing, soothing and anti-ageing properties." Here


However, the proof lies in the pudding surely? So I picked up 2 BB Creams a round about a month ago to try out. The two I picked up are MUA Professional's, in Medium Shade 2 at the bargain price of £4.00 and Superdrug's own brand, again in Medium for £6.99 (normally £8.99).


I'll begin with the MUA one, which states on the packaging "A Multi-functional formula that works wonders to prime and protect whilst conceals to even out skin tone, for a brighter smoother complexion". Sounds good right? And I have to say it is good. I like the consistency of the product which is slightly thicker than a foundation, but does by no means behave like a foundation. When  used, the cream melts into the skin and gives a great base to work on.

The Superdrugs interpretation boasts "5 in 1 Skin Perfecting Day Cream. Conceals imperfections, 24 hour hydration, antioxidant protection, UVA/UVB filters, SPF 15". Again sounds like a miracle cream doesn't it. So the first obvious thing that it does have that MUA doesn't, is the SPF 15 and UV filters. However, most decent foundations already offer this, so if you are going to use this as a base, you could argue not absolutely necessary, but a very good bonus, if you are wanting to wear this cream alone. And that is what I would use this cream for. I would use it if I wanted a light coverage. The consistency of this cream is a bit runnier than the MUA one, and I didn't like it as much as the MUA one. However that doesn't mean I don't like the Superdrug one because I do.

I do plan on getting a few more of these creams to try out, because I do like the concept. I can tell you that what I have learnt so far. The creams, do act as a great make-up base, whitest it would be completely personal preference whether you eliminate your primer from your routine or not, I don't mind using the MUA one as my primer. In terms of concealment, I do think they offer a bit of coverage, however I wouldn't be ready to eliminate my concealer just yet. They both act as a great moisturiser.

But the big question being are they as amazing as they are cracked up to be? Again I think that is all down to personal preference, for me the answer would be, I like them, but they are not the be all and end all. My preferred one out of the two I have tried so far is the MUA Pro one. If you are looking to try one out I would defiantly recommend it, and at  just £4.00 if you didn't like it that much it wouldn't be the end of the world.



Anyway I think I have waffled on about these enough now, what do you think? Have you tried BB creams yet? Drop your comments below and let me know your thoughts.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment